The Paper Archives
Articles, Interviews, CD-notes and Newsletters
CD Liner Notes
Mr. John Tracy of the Decca label has written detailed liner notes for the DERAM CD releases of Camel's albums. The liner notes shed light over the band's history. Unfortunately these notes are unavailable on the London or OneWay CD releases. The original CD work on the DERAM releases also
feature additional photoes and info, and I strongly recommend them.
The Liner notes collection was begun a few years ago; Some other people and U have typed in some of them and sent them to each other via e-mail. I have lately received new additions from Greg Chudov, Stan Rosenthal Magnus Eneskar and Genis Parra. Thanks!
At the current situation these notes are reprinted without permission, apart for Echoes.
Articles and Interviews
- Autumn 1994 - The Nature of the Beast / Volume 2, Number 2 - Features an 'interview' with Andrew Latimer answering fans' questions.
- Big Bang Interview with Andrew Latimer about "Harbour Of Tears", March 1996, courtesy of the Big Bang progressive music magazine, submitted by Aymeric Leroy.
- Progressive Thinking a review of the Los Angeles Times' Mike Boehm of the Galaxy Theatre gig, submitted by Dave McCoy to the Camel mailing list.
- Camel `97 - A Conversation with Andy
Latimer by Jeff Melton, originally scheduled for inclusion in Exposť #12 (March 2, 1997).
- Tilburg, Holland, 1997 Interview with Latimer originally for the Netherlands' "Red Rooster" Radio program, from Henk Maeghs.
- Nude - Explained Based on Shingo Doi's letter to the Camel Mailing List, this article explains the story behind the album Nude.
- Camel history from the Melody Maker reference series "Contemporary Music", kindly submitted by its author, Jim Powers.
- Ten Years On - an Interview by Mal Reding with Andrew Latimer from 1981, originally from the Rhayader web site, transcribed by Brendan Newport.
- Andy Ward - The life and times - an original interview published in Canterbury Nachrichten, this long interview provides the Camel story as Andy Ward sees it.
- IRC chat with Andrew Latimer and Colin Bass - an online IRC interview conducted on October 4th 1998 by the Artist Shop.
- Interview with Andrew Latimer exclusively from the Christopher Rainbow Website.
- Camel inspired by Focus? - an arduous study of the similarities between a Camel and a Focus riff. If you've got extra time, here's where you can lost it..
- Andy Ward Interview - BBC Radio London, 26 September 1977..
Camel Productions' Newsletters
CP has permitted to make the "Nature of the Beast" newsletters available on-line.
You're welcome to browse it and learned what you might have missed...
I have done my best to make the web version of the newsletters as close as possible to the original format. Please let me know if you find any problems (spelling or layout) in these page.
The numbering of the newsletters is incosistent, but all the releases are here.
A personal favour, if I may: The original newsletters were printed on recycled paper. Please avoid printing these pages.
Camel Family Tree
A Family Tree of the band was created by Pete Frame and submitted by Theo Kamps. I think it was available along with the 1979 "I Can See Your House From Here" tour program.
You can download the tree in two formats:
Here is a complete (yet unreadable) view of the tree:
- Viewable Format - a large (490K) image which you can view within your browser.
- Printable Format - a larger (yet only 420K) image which you should save to your disk and print - possibly using an external software (such as ACDSee or MS-Word).
Skylines - Camel Web Page - created by Ofir Zwebner